Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Korean Consulate

Story from Jayne's Dad.

Yesterday I got a call from a lady whom I could hardly understand.  I listened to the message several times.  Finally I took it over to a guy at work who served in Seoul and he helped me decipher.  Turns out she is from the Korean Consulate out of San Francisco.  She left a number and so I called her back.  Lady answers and asks (read everything in quotes with super-strong Korean accent)
"do daughter have dual citizenship?" (she could not ever come close to pronouncing citizenship).
I tell her no, she is american.
"She look caucasian"  I'm not how to respond to this statement, so I don't but I'm thinking that even with her picture right in front of you and the packet from the church, we are still having this conversation?
"Why she name Lee?"  I explain that Lee is a common english last name.
"You send birth certificate"  I said fine, no problem, I can do it.
I scanned and sent it by email last night and she replied with a thank you.  I get the feeling Jayne that your last name will be an ice breaker throughout your time on the peninsula.

No comments:

Post a Comment