Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Fish Smell

This week I got to talk to my MAMA!!!!  It was seriously so nice being able to talk to my family!!  30 mins was way too short but it is better than nothing!  So this week we got all of our new missionaries in our district.

We now have two new Koreans in our room and it has been interesting.  They are super nice but we started to notice that there was a slight fish smell in the room and it was getting stronger and stronger everyday and when you think of a fish smell think of rotten fish mixed with stinky feet, and rotten eggs all together.  It was THEE worst smell I have ever smelt.  We found after much searching that they had in a zip lock bag with a can of fish that was open under there bed.  And after about 2 days the smell was getting stronger and stronger.  The bag started to puff up under the bed because of the gases and we were completely disgusting.  It got so bad that every single time we went into our room we were gagging and spraying at least 12 lbs of air freshener each time, let's just say we went through a couple of cans of air freshener.  It took a lot of willpower to go into our room I really just wanted to sleep outside in the hallway.  We were also leaving the door open constantly and we had the air conditioner blasting so it was pretty much a fridge so we wouldn't cook the fish smell.  And we went on like this for about 5 days because we didn't know how to tell them to throw the can of fish away, because that is all they had from Korea and we had food.  We thought they would eventually eat it.  But we were wrong!!  So we deiced to start dropping hint to them to get rid of it.  We kept saying what is that smell and then my companion would ask me if it was my feet that were stinking.  We even asked them if they had food that was stinky and they told us they didn't have any food, but 10 mins latter they offered us Korean food...  We finally with help with our President were able to get the fish out of our room and now are room still smells like fish, but the smell is fading every day and so now i am ok to sleep in our room ask long as i have a blanket over my head.  We found out that it was fish guts that had been dried and then preserved with a ton of salt and then put into this soup mixture and cured for a very long time... so its nasty smelling fish guts.

We also have found out the Koreans love face masks and so one night this week we all put on face masks on in out room.  Me and my companion have found out that our faces do not fit Korean face masks what so ever and so when we put them on the masks are way to big and they do not fit our noses and so the Koreans thought we looked pretty funny and we thought we looked like old men!!!    And afterwards we were trying to figure out what was in the face masks and we found out after wards that they are made from SNAIL...... i don't know how i feel about that, but i'll let you know.

So we also got the shock of our lives this week when they told us that we cant use any notes in our lessons any more.  You should of seen me and my companions faces because do they not know that we cannot speak Korean!!  Let alone give our lessons without notes.  But they actually have been going good... except during one of our lesson we were having our investigator read from Joseph Smith History later, but I forgot to tell him where to stop at verse 20 and so he was looking through it and then I thought he said you want me to read all of this?  And I said yes really confidently... and then our investigator just started laughing and we had no idea why he was laughing it took him about 5 mins to stop laughing and we just thought that it was because i might of said the sentence wrong. But our teacher came in later and told us what actually happened.  So apparently when i asked him to read he said do you hate me?  and so i told my investigator i hated him! I am going to be a great missionary...

Love you all and i hope you guys had a great mothers day!!!

Our Korean face masks

Our New Zone 
(Side note: I asked Jayne what they are doing with their hands and she told me that is how Korean's make hearts in Korea)

Me and Kayden Wild and Becky Parish from Timpanogos

Me and Becky

My bed...thanks Mom!



No comments:

Post a Comment